| Forums | Reply | Search | Statistics | Return to Toplist | Imageboard | Toolbar | 

Questions topchan.info Forum / Questions /

Why is topchan.info so slow?

Author Guest
#1 | Posted: 28 Sep 2012 10:51
Could be just me (though, I don't believe that is the case), but topchan.info takes forever to load.
Sometimes it's fast, sometimes it can take up to twenty seconds.
Here is a performance report: http://gtmetrix.com/reports/topchan.info/rtNDQDZs
I do believe it is time to upgrade server/internet provider.

I am also understanding with this, you might be unable to do so.
But remember this, slow sites lose a lot of traffic. Usually if it takes more than ten seconds I say fuck you and goodbye to the website.

Also, not only is this site being slow, but it is affecting my site with the frame as well.
Even though I have a fast load time people believe it is slow due to the time it takes for the topchan code to load.

Any future things you're going to do with this?
Author Guest
#2 | Posted: 28 Sep 2012 10:55
Also, reccommend looking at the timeline frame.
Biggest advice: Remove the damn like facebook button or make it asynchronous. Besides, what traffic does facebook generate for an imageboard chan?
Author Guest
#3 | Posted: 28 Sep 2012 12:13
Adblocking the social div on this page makes the ranking list to load 6-7 seconds faster.

Also, I think you should take in consideration that the external images hosted by other chans should take the blame for this. Some take an awful long to load putting topchan on hold so the banners can load (sort of stupid, but that's how it is).
Author Admin
Admin
#4 | Posted: 29 Sep 2012 03:35
TopChan.info has indeed outgrown it's current home. We honestly did not think we would grow so fast in just 1 year. Luckily, we have a extremely close business relationship with the ISP.

Here's what's coming and what both the ISP and TopChan.info are investing in:

- New 10mbit symmetrical fiber. Time frame is 10 months.
- New Data Center under construction to ensure better up time. Time frame for completion is about 3 months.
- Moving to a blade server farm. Time frame is about 6 months to 1 year.

We currently have shared hosting, but maybe we will temporarily move to a VPS in the next month or two.
Author Admin
Admin
#5 | Posted: 29 Sep 2012 03:38
Guest:
Also, I think you should take in consideration that the external images hosted by other chans should take the blame for this.

I was trying to setup lazy load on these, but apparently it violates some JavaScript cross domain security limits.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Author Guest
#6 | Posted: 29 Sep 2012 08:17
Would it take a lot of bandwidth to host the images yourself? Possibly hard to implement though, I don't know this script.
Author Admin
Admin
#7 | Posted: 27 Oct 2012 06:57
Should see some improvements in the next few weeks. Upgrading server's RAID from software to hardware. Already implemented lazy load for the remote banners. Ordered a SAS RAID today, should be here Tuesday, installed on Wednesday.
Author Guest
#8 | Posted: 27 Oct 2012 18:55
[imgs=http://i46.tinypic.com/muft78.jpg]This is why it's slow[/imgs]
Author Admin
Admin
#9 | Posted: 2 Nov 2012 00:05
It's amazing what a little traffic shaping will do. Site load a little faster now.
Questions topchan.info Forum / Questions / Why is topchan.info so slow? Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Clicking on the ads will open a new window or tab.

You are welcome to post anonymously by entering a nickname (if that nickname has not been taken by another member) or by leaving the fields empty. If you have a forums membership account, you can also sign in from the front page.

Protected by Spammer Slapper